Common Household Items Can Be a Threat to Your Dog!

Even in the cleanest and seemingly the safest house an apartment can hide a threat to your dog. There are many common household items that we all keep, which can be a threat to your dog, either making it sick or causing death,

Did you know that an environmental toxin could be any Substance that is outside the body of an animal and is ingested or otherwise exposed to – can cause harmful biological changes.

We live in a world we are trying to become "green", yet many of our homes are full of things that can cause damage to our dogs.

Did you know that second-hand cigarette smoke could cause cancer in dogs?

Substances found in a home that can become a deadly threat vary from insecticides and contaminated water that pollutes the environment to a

This article, I hope to a small extent will open the eyes of readers and perhaps prevent a dog or other animal from having to suffer from an illness or die.

Dogs, as you know, are one of the most curious domestic pets, a monkey may have more curiosity, but when it comes to putting things in their mouth , I believe that dogs have all other beating creatures

Since a dog does not have hands to understand things with, his first choice is his mouth and whether it tastes good or not, In his mouth it goes. I have never read that dogs are gourmet eaters. It seems that their philosophy is, if it fits, it can be chewed and / or swallowed. The problem with this philosophy is that toxins in objects can cause disease and / or objects can cause serious obstructions in the dog's body.

So, what is a dog owner to do? First of all there are some simple rules to follow that will prevent some accidents from occurring. Especially if you have a puppy or a dog that likes to chew, keep the little things out of your dog's reach. Things such as small rubber balls, jewelery, medicine bottles of all kinds (glass or plastic), ant or mouse poison containers, household cleaners, living yarns on the floor that can Containers containing insecticides, power steering fluid and the like. Anything you do not think you'd like to swallow, consider it a "no-no" for your dog.

There are many foods that can cause a toxic reaction in a dog:

– Alcohol can cause coma or even be fatal.

– Avocados – a fatty acid found in avocado leaves, fruits, seeds and bark called "persin" can cause breathing difficulties, abnormal fluid accumulations in the chest, The abdomen and the bag around the heart.

– Chocolate – this and any product related to chocolate such as cocoa powder, cocoa beans, cocoa mulch are very dangerous for dogs. These products contain caffeine and theobromine, both of which are stimulants of the nervous system and since dogs metabolize theobromine more slowly than humans, it can cause a multitude of problems, including death. Dark chocolate has the highest concentration.

– Coffee, tea and cola – contain caffeine and can cause toxicity to caffeine, plus tea and colas contain theobromine.

– Grapes and raisins – are very toxic to dogs – we do not know the toxic component, but eating large amounts can cause kidney damage or failure.

– Macadamia nut – another toxic mystery, but a food dangerous to dogs, it can cause depression, hyperthermia, weakness, muscle stiffness, tremors and increased heart rate.

– Mushrooms – contain toxins that can be fatal if consumed by a dog.

– Nutmeg – I did not know it would affect a dog, but it is on the list of very dangerous foods for dogs, and if a dog eats enough, it can be deadly. I do not know what else there is – so keep it away from your dog.

– Onions and garlic – it is not known how much onion or garlic should be consumed by a dog (or cat), but they are considered dangerous because they contain Sulfoxides and disulfides, which can break red blood cells and cause anemia. Depending on what I have read consumed in large amounts can result in severe anemia and even death, if it is not treated by your veterinarian.

– Xylitol – it is a sugar substitute in certain gums and in sugarless sweets that is extremely harmful to dogs. If a dog eats enough sweets, it can cause a deadly blood sugar drop, loss of coordination, depression, liver damage, collapse and convulsions.

– Yeast paste – rising yeast paste can cause the formation of gas in the digestive system of a pet causing its stomach or intestines to rupture. Do not feed your dog any raw dough that has yeast in it. Once it is cooked a small amount of bread or rolls are good for your pet.

Some plants are also very toxic to dogs. Puppies are usually the ones that are most curious, but dogs that like to dig can encounter problems, too.

The following plants usually cause the same amount of problems and these are the symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, lethargy, drooling, tremors, Stomach

Amaryllis, Azaleas, Crocus of the autumn. Christmas pine needles, chrysanthemum, cyclamen, daffodils, some lilies, holly, Kalanchoe and Lillies, Sago palms, olive trees, Poinsettia, tulips and narcissus are the most common in our gardens. However, the castor oil factory contains a very toxic protein and a bean can kill a human and four beans can kill a horse, so I would rid my yard of such a plant just to be sure.

Also the new thing in the garden circle is the mulch of cocoa beans that do not smell like chocolate, dogs are attracted to it and will eat it.

Do not let your dog swim in standing water or in water that you are unsure if it is free from contamination.

Dogs are like children, they are very curious and are attracted to things because it feels good.

All dogs are at risk when it is chewing or swallowing a toxic or obstructive object, especially old dogs and young puppies. It is a good idea to "baby proof" your house by keeping things out of the reach of your dog and when outdoors, a vigilant eye can prevent mishaps.

Invest in an emergency first aid kit for your dog. It must contain:

– a new bottle of hydrogen peroxide (3%) to induce vomiting

– a large turkey or syringe to administer the peroxide in the dog's mouth

– saline eye solution

– artificial tear gel to lubricate the eyes after rinsing

– tweezers to remove tingling

– a muzzle to protect you from fear or excitement induced bite

– light liquid to wash dishes to clean the skin after any contamination

– a favorite food box of your favorite pet

– a pet carrier

Keep your veterinarian's phone number displayed near your phone and also keep the ASPCA poison control number listed at 888-426-4435 (there is one Charge for this service

If at any time you think that your pet has ingested a toxic substance, call your veterinarian at once.Time is essential and the life you save will be that of your pet.



Source by Audrey Frederick

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *